Tax Information

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

Helps families pay for child care for children under the age of 13, if the parents are working, or looking for work. Parents who are full-time students can also claim the credit. Qualifying care includes child care centers, family child care homes, and care provided by paid friends or relatives — as long as the relative is not a dependent of the taxpayer. The size of the credit depends on the number of children in care, your family income, and the amount you paid for child care during the tax year. There are limits on the credit given for one child, and two or more children.

More information at

Earned Income Tax Credit

A refundable tax credit for low- and moderate-income families, particularly those with children. The EITC is based on family income and the number of children in the family. Both single- and two-parent families are entitled to the credit, as long as one parent is employed. A number of states have their own Earned Income Tax Credits; check with your state department of revenue for more information.

More information at

State Tax Credits

Twenty-four states have state tax programs related to the Child and Dependent Care Credit. Check with your state department of revenue for more information.

In-Home Care or Nanny Tax

When you hire an in-home caregiver, you become an employer under federal law. You need to be aware of laws regarding taxes, verification of employment eligibility, and minimum wage. For information on these topics, contact the Department of Labor, the Internal Revenue Service, an accountant, a tax advisor, or an insurance agent.

Page last updated: Aug 24, 2013